It's always nice to create a special one-of-a-kind item. If you fancy making a similar one, it's as easy as this...
You will need:
- A plate (a dinner plate is the best size; choose one which isn't too heavy)
- A candlestick with a flat top (approximately 18cm/7 inches tall)
- Epoxy glue (two separate gels which you mix together immediately prior to use)
- White spirit
- A marker pen
- Wash and dry the plate and candlestick thoroughly.
- Measure and mark the centre of the reverse of the plate with a small spot of ink.
- Place the candle stick over this mark (i.e. where you will eventually glue it in place) and draw around it.
- Lay the plate face down, mix and apply the Epoxy glue to the candlestick, then glue to the plate. (This glue sets incredible quickly so you won't have much time to reposition the candlestick if you make a mistake).
- Leave to dry overnight.
- Use white spirit to remove any traces of marker pen from the reverse of the plate.
- Place cake(s) on finished stand, admire briefly, then eat.
- You can find a massive selection of vintage plates and candlesticks sold individually on eBay.
- Make sure the candlestick has a flat top. Some have rounded tops and therefore less surface area to stick to the plate.
- In preparation for gluing (to create a stronger bond), you can sand the top of the candle stick and the marked area on the plate. Sandpaper is sufficient, but I was fortunate enough to have a helper with a small electric sander! Remember to clean the sanded areas with white spirit prior to gluing.
- Wash/wipe clean by hand. Although the Epoxy glue is incredibly strong, I would not advise putting your finished cake stand in the dishwasher.